Tuesday, November 11, 2008

With or without you

Editor's Note: I had this headline picked out between the two days that appear in this blog because I went to one with 'ark and one solo. But after hearing the sad news that Jimi Hendrix's longtime drummer Mitch Mitchell passed, well it has taken on a different connotation. I just saw Mitchell out and about with the Experience Hendrix crew just a few weeks ago, and he looked as vibrant and enthused as the first go-around a year earlier. He got to do what he loved to the very end, and we couldn't have asked for much more than that for him. So I won't, and I'll just dedicate this week's entry to Mitch.

There were a lot of mid-week events going on this week, New York, baybee! Monday night, I found out that my fave celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver (no, he's not my fave because his name is Jamie! :P) was going to be doing a signing at Borders in early afternoon next day.

Takes a lot to get me up and about at that time of day, so Mr. Oliver apparently is a measuring stick in that regard. I've enjoyed his appearances on Letterman (which often end in the both of them wolfing down something you or I might find inedible -- such as olive oil from the bottle) and even tried one or two of his recipes over the years. I guess I would be the target audience for him on Dave, someone not into cooking who wanted to try it out.

So I dutifully bought my copy of his new book "Jamie at Home" (made with paper from 'sustainable managed forests') and got on the line. Not too long, the holiday might have kept people out of the city and he also was doing a couple of other appearances in times and places I couldn't get to the next two days.

He was running late and one of the girls I was chatting with on the line put it perfectly -- as soon as he gets here, we're going to forget all about the fact he made us wait. And it was totally true. He's got a very effusive personality and greeted us with "Hi guys!" when he finally made his entrance.

I had wanted to tell him something about my "target audience" theory or maybe that I had made my own variation of the sausage meatballs he made on Dave last year, but he distracted me by asking if I was a New Yorker. Now what do I always answer in that circumstance? Well usually, I say yes. But for some reason, I went "I'm a New Jerseyan." Had to think about the "Jerseyan" part. Same thing, he said. I guess it's about the same as someone living in a London suburb being deemed as someone from London. But he can say basically anything he wants with that personable English accent, and it certainly worked here.

One of the people on line took a picture for me, I had promised to do the same for him when we were buying our books since Majeed had taken my photo with Chris Trucks last weekend. Just paying it forward.

Fast forwarding... now 'ark is in tow for the back end of our "Ultimate Rock 'N' Roll Couple" bookend. We saw Derek Trucks and the Gang twice last weekend, now wife Susan Tedeschi and the Funky Bunch appear at Irving Plaza, now tabbed The Fillmore (why bother, since it's bogus and should just be the legendary Irving Plaza instead) I have to admit though, seeing the cool-ass posters from every concert medium is pretty impressive.

Speaking of that, opener James Hunter and his five-piece band did a great job of sending the wayback machine back to the '50s with guitar-driven style. I half-expected to turn back to the rest of the crowd like a scene out of Peggy Sue Got Married or meet my bobbysoxed mom as Michael J. Fox's character did in Back to the Future.

Even better though was Ms. Tedeschi, who manages to have one of the best female voices going and hittin' every note (Allman Brothers Band inside joke!) on the guitar. She has this little speaking voice and this great big beautiful singing style. Her chops on the guitar could slay many as well.

It's not a confrontational style, but it's certainly not a Grateful Dead vibe. It's kind of a soothing rock-out effect. "Back to the River" and "Just Won't Burn" were among the tracks that proved powerful in their ability to draw a mental picture, punctuated by the bluesy vocals and striking notes. The perfect way to wrap up a long summer/fall Park leg of concerts.

So next up, and this is expected to be a doozie. The big trip home for Thanksgiving, although 'ark's gotta depart on Turkey Day :( because of that neither rain, nor sleet, nor overstuffed bellies' mailman mantra. Among the stops Park will be making on a shorter tour almost shorter than Eric Clapton or Lindsey Buckingham's brief forages this year will be -- dinner with Sus, my first college football home game with my Big Bros/Big Sis little sister Jessica (jeez, I don't want to think about how old she is now!~~), Devils hockey with my sis (OK, the guys are coming too), a visit with my favorite -- and only -- nephew and 'ark meets the other two most important people to me, Mom and Jefe. 'ark will get his five minutes to schedule a visit with a friend as well. Back after the trip! Happy T-giving, everyone. :)

No comments: