Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Personal upgrades

It was pretty hard to top the previous weekend in terms of -- well everything -- so we won't even try. But Lindsey Buckingham and company ventured to New York to wrap up their small tour at the Nokia Theatre.

While the show can't hope to rival Atlantic City for soul and spirit, it did sound tremendously amazing. The acoustics in the building are -- as 'ark likes to point out -- built for recording and so every note was clear as a bell and ringing just as sharply.

The setlist and even much of the chitchat was the same, but between the two shows I think 'ark's bubble of Fleetwood Mac as pure pop has been ... well, popped. And Lindsey Buckingham's finesse as a soul artist both with the guitar and vocally are a whole different story.

As he explains it, he works for the giant corporate machine known as Fleetwood Mac. But that enables him to do his side work and, as a result, both sides now feed off each other instead of taking him on a more destructive path. He definitely seems, not at all mellow, but just grounded.

The big Park game plan was to leave the mezzanine seats and dart for the stage once "Go Your Own Way" started and everyone started to go their own way and that's what we did, in time for me to pogo along with GYOW once again. And I thought I was tired. Apparently 'ark was having a visual conversation behind my back with a guy not irritated but amused by my antics.

I would swear both Lindsey and especially "Jessie's Girl" Brett made eye contact during a couple of the songs. (This isn't our photo though, it's courtesy of Pattie at The Ledge.)

But the piece de resistance -- the final song. Now we hoped for something special for the final show of the tour. That didn't mean different material, it just meant the most stirring version of "Time Precious Time" one could imagine. The pointed guitar movements and perfectly toned voice and the final word "Rememmmmmber" fading out ... well, let's just say, it won't be hard to not forget!

So 'ark had to reMiata and return home the next day. That meant me and good friend Liam were on our own for Experience Hendrix on Tuesday. Last year, we saw the show at the Beacon Theatre. This one was at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Kinda cramped if you are in a seat, but we just moved back to the final few rows of empty chairs and basically stood and jammed all night. Much better!

Among those on the bill: Eric Gales (was at first show), Doyle Bramhall II (sigh, yep, he did "Angel" again -- my first near tearjerker of the night), Eric Johnson (never saw him before, he really caught fire), Billy Cox (just smashing in red), Jonny Lang (didn't pull out all the stops but was solid), Kenny Wayne Shepherd (DID pull out all the stops again on Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Child Slight Return), Brad Whitford and son Graham (not bad, son), the effervescent Mitch Mitchell (frankly I'd pay just to watch him walk on and off stage), a couple of Los Lobos dudes (righteous! and nice take on "Little Wing"), Hubert Sumlin (dude was ON!) and Buddy Guy (not liquored up... thankfully since the crowd was about one-eighth of the energy of his show in the same venue just a couple months ago).

Got to meet and get CDs/picture/ticket signed by Eric Gales and Billy Cox after the show. Funny EG moment... a 20something fan went up to him right before me and said "you gave me a whole new perspective." Then when I went up I said "I already had perspective, but you were really great." So Eric tells me that I rock. And I must have had a brain freeze cause I went "I rock? Eric Gales [editor's note: he had just played the s out of his guitar] is telling me that I rock?" So that was pretty righteous.

Of course it would have been righteouser with 'ark in tow. But he'll be back this weekend. We have Joe Bonamassa at BB's (hopefully seeing journeycouple again!) and the WFMU Record Fair the next day.

No comments: